The Vineyard, Richmond, Surrey TW10 6AH
Michel's Almshouses were founded in 1695 by Humphrey Michel. This charity owned property in The Vineyard and, at one time, land in Maiden Lane, which now forms part of the stage of the Adelphi Theatre. On his uncle's death John Michel gave a further endowment to the charity. In 1727 William Smithet bequeathed to the charity a significant endowment of three houses and land in Kew Foot Road. On part of this land Michel's Row, Rosedale Road and Benn's Cottages were built. The original block of ten almshouses fronting The Vineyard was built in 1696 and rebuilt in 1810. The wing comprising six additional almshouses was added in 1860. A one-bedroom bungalow was built in 1990. The consecrated chapel is used as an almshouse. In 1983 six almshouses, consisting of two studios and four one-bedroom bungalows, were built on the site of Benn's Cottages and are known as Benn's Walk. The two studios were combined and converted into a one-bedroom bungalow in 2002.